Positive Changes to Student Visas; Supporting International Students during COVID19
On 20 July 2020 the Hon Ministers Alan Tudge and Dan Tehan released a joint media statement outlining that the Morrison Government will arrange changes for student visa applicants and student visa holders who have been impacted by the COVID-19 travel restrictions.
The joint media release notes the following positive changes:
- The Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
- International students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge, if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- Current student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.
- Graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
- Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
This is great news for international students already inside Australia and those outside Australia. The Australian Government continues to value the importance of international students and the value that they bring to Australia and the economy.
Australia seeks to make international students feel secure and welcome to a safe environment in a safe and measured way.
See the full release here.
Disclaimer: The information provided is not legal advice and is not intended to serve as legal advice. Immigration Solutions Lawyers do not accept any liability for any damages suffered by persons who rely on the general information provided on this website. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.