Offshore Applications during COVID 19
Whilst the travel ban continues to stay in place, those who are not immediate family members of Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents will be unable to enter Australia (except for partner and child visa’s that are granted).
The Department of Home Affairs is currently prioritising visa applications that are in the exempt categories of travel, all other visas that are in the processing stage are being delayed.
Currently a travel exemption is only granted for compassionate and compelling reasons, although there are additional exemptions that may be considered by the Commissioner, including:
- foreign nationals travelling at the invitation of the Australian Commonwealth Government for the purpose of assisting in the COVID-19 response or whose entry would be in the national interest
- critical medical services, including air ambulance and delivery of supplies, that regularly arrive into Australia from international ports
- people with critical skills (for example, medical specialists, engineers, marine pilots and crews) by exception
- diplomats accredited to Australia and currently resident in Australia, and their immediate family
- case-by-case exceptions for humanitarian or compassionate reasons.
Offshore applications are said to be processing only if the applicant has been granted permission to travel to Australia or that permission is pending. Attaining permission requires an exemption, Immigration Solutions Lawyer can apply for an exemption on your behalf.
Visa applications can still be lodged and are being accepted by the Department (except for state nominations where the application submission period has ended), however there may be delays in processing.
During these uncertain and unprecedented times, it is necessary to receive expert advice. Contact us for your immigration issues.
Find more information on the Department website.
Disclaimer: The information provided is not legal advice and is not intended to serve as legal advice. Immigration Solutions Lawyers do not accept any liability for any damages suffered by persons who rely on the general information provided on this website. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.